Lgeimat is a traditional sweet of UAE, which is very similar to donuts. When served it is poured with date syrup or honey. Also some sprinkle it with pistachios or sesame seeds. The dough for Lgeimat prepared in different ways: some make it from milk, others from yoghurt, with or without eggs. Today, I want to share a version with a can of milk Rainbow in it (this milk is very popular in UAE, when it’s used for making tea “karak”).
- 2 eggs
- 1 can ( 170g ) milk Rainbow
- 6 tsp milk powder
- 1 cup warm water
- about three and a half cups of flour
- 1.5 teaspoon yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup oil + for frying
1. Dissolve the yeast in warm water . Add sugar and salt.
2. In a bowl place eggs, Rainbow, milk powder, water and oil. Pour the flour, string with spoon and forming into not thick dough.
3. Cover the dough and leave in a warm place for 40-50 minutes . Stir with a spoon risen dough .
4. Heat oil in a deep-frying pan. Reduce the heat when you ready to fry the Lgeimat.
5. How to form balls from the dough? You can do it using two ways: the first: wet your hand slightly in a bowl of water. Take a small piese from the dough and form a ball with your hand. Drop into oil from your fingerprints.
Or you can try my favourite way. To do this, prepare a little sunflower oil in a bowl and a 3-4 teaspoons (for convenience). Grease tsp with oil. Take the dough with your left hand, squeezing a fist through the index finger and thumb to shape out small ball of dough. With the right hand take a teaspoon and take the dough from fist and quickly move to the hot oil. Quickly repeat until the pan filled with doughnuts. When spoon will become sticky, replace with a new one (that is why we prepared spoons for replacement). At first glance, the process seems complicated, but as soon you accustomed you will understand that it’s very easy (I learned about this way from my friend).
6. Fry Lgeimat, turning with spatula. (they cook very quickly).
7. Drain on a kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
When serving, pour date syrup or honey!