Zileibi or Mshabak is delightful traditional sweet dish that is made on special occasions. The Zilebi or Mshabak is a crispy fried sweet dipped in a sugar syrup. It’s usually orange or yellow in color. It tastes delicious so it worths making it.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp rose-water
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- a pinch of yellow food coloring (or use saffron powder)
- for frying: oil
- for serving: 1 cup of sugar syrup
- Mix flour, corn starch, yeast, salt and sugar.
- Add little warm water and mix into a paste. Add the rest water, food coloring and rose-water and mix well until soft dough forms.
- Dough should look like cake butter.
- Cover the dough and leave for one hour.
- Place a bowl of the sugar next to you.
- Heat oil to medium in a deep-frying pan.
- Reduce the heat.
- Fill the piping bag (used for cake decoration) with the dough and make a small cut at the end of the bag.
- Press gently to drop the dough in oil, moving your hand, drawing a circle.
- Fry for few sec on both sides until golden color.
- Remove from oil and drop directly into bowl of sugar syrup, wait for few sec and place in a serving plate.
Put some of Zileibi in a nice box and share with your neighbours.
The recipe adapted from Manal Al Alem.