Haba Al Hamra in arabic means red seed. Red seeds can be purchased from big supermarkets. In UAE these seeds are very popular based on its huge health benefits, it is full of iodine, calcium phosphorus, iron, manganese, and vitamins A, B, B2, C, and E. Also a brew from red seeds always given to women following childbirth. However, pregnant women should not drink it.
A popular hot drink in UAE is a milk with custard cooked with Haba Al Hamra. Usually it is served in weddings and Eid gatherings.
- 1/3 cup red seeds washed and soaked in little water for 1 hour
- 1 liter milk
- 1/3 can condensed milk or sugar to taste
- 1,5 tbsp custard powder
- 2 tbsp rose water
- In a pot mix well milk with custard using a whisker.
- Put on heat, stir in condensed milk and let it boil, reduce the heat and stir for few min.
- Add soaked red seeds. Cook for 5 min.
- Keep string. Add zaafran, rose water and cardamom. Stir on low heat for 5 min more.
- Serve immediately delicious and creamy drink!