Alhamdulillah, Allah has chosen us to experience another blessed month of Ramadan. We have before us another chance to strengthen our relationship with our Creator, benefit from His bountiful Mercy and forgiveness, and improve ourselves.
For inspiration on how to make the best use of this time, let’s look back upon the lives of the Sahabah and the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) and the manner in which they spent the holy month.
It is narrated by Maali bin Fudali that the Companions would pray to Allah for six months before Ramadan for a longer life to reach Ramadan, and then pray for six months after Ramadan for acceptance of their fasts.
The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) used to recite: “Allahumma barik lana fee Rajab wa Shaban wa balighna Ramadan” – O Allah! Make the months of Rajab and Shaban blessed for us, and let us reach Ramadan”. (At-Tabarani).
During the month of Ramadan they would all strive to preform more acts of worship. For example, Saiid inb Jubayr was known to complete a recitation of the Quran every two nights. The pious Companions would also spend long hours in nightly prayer, so much so that they would use canes to support themselves and would only finish close to Al Fajr.
SubhanAllah, let us take inspiration from those before us and make an attempt to emulate their ways. Remember that Ramadan is a time to increase our effors and strive for Allah’s sake. Try setting goals: if you read one Quran last year, try make it two this year or increase the number of rakaahs at Tahajjud time.
May Allah make it easy for us all to increase in our IBADAH or WORSHIP and accept our efforts, aameen.
Today, on the 1st day of Ramadan I am posting the recipe of a delicious and popular meal in the Emirates during Ramadan. The broken wheat (Jareesh) is cooked in a yogurt sauce along with meat or chicken.
- 1 cup Jareesh soaked in water for 5 hours
- 2 pieces chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 whole cardamoms
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Maggi cube
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 can Nestle cream
- Topping: samen (ghee)
- Onion Topping: ghee, chopped onion, 1/2 tsp lemon powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric
- In a pot add chicken breast, soaked and drained Jareesh, 3 cups water, Maggi, black pepper, salt and cardamom. Cook for 20 min.
- Take out the chicken fillet and shred it. Return back to the pot.
- Add yougurt and thick cream. Cook for 1 and a half hour more, adding water if Jareesh is too thick. Stir the Jareesh every 15 min to avoid burning.
- Blend Jareesh with a spoon.
- For topping: warm ghee. Or prepare onion topping: fry onion with ghee until golden color. Stir in spices.
- In a serving plate place Jareesh. Pour melted samen or top with fried onion topping.
The recipe adapted from Amal’s Table.
Ramadan Kareem…This looks delicious!!!
Thank you so much Ramadan Mobarak!